What is TM?
It’s a simple, natural, effortless technique practiced 20 minutes twice each day while sitting comfortably with the eyes closed.
The TM technique allows your active mind to easily settle inward, through quieter levels of thought, until you experience the most silent and peaceful level of your own awareness — pure consciousness.
Six things you should know
- Absolutely effortless — It’s so easy and enjoyable that anyone can do it — even children with ADHD. This makes it very different from other techniques.
- No concentrating
- No control of the mind
- No monitoring of thoughts (mindfulness)
- No trying to “empty the mind”
- Authentic — The TM technique was founded by Maharishi Mahesh Yogi over 50 years ago, and has been learned by more than six million people. It can only be taught by certified TM teachers in a course carefully personalized for each individual.
- Unique — Other meditations often claim to be the same or similar to the TM technique. In fact, they are very different — and there is no evidence they provide the same benefits.
- Evidence-based — Hundreds of published research studiespublished research studiespublished research studies on the TM technique have documented major benefits for:
- stress and anxiety
- brain function
- cardiovascular health
- Established — Over six million people have learned the TM technique and experienced its benefits — people of all ages, cultures, religions, and walks of life.
- Nothing to believe in — The TM technique is not a religion, philosophy, or lifestyle. No belief or expectation is needed for it to be effective.
“I was interested in TM but I was skeptical at the same time. The power of the TM meditation… it was surprising to me. Having that inner peace after meditation really emboldened me to deal with things that I’d been just kind of stuffing away. To be able to have relief from agitation, have relief from anger, frustration, sleeplessness, alcoholism, drug addiction — that’s huge.”
Imagine trying to learn a natural golf swing or the violin. You know how valuable it is for a good teacher to show you the proper technique.
The TM technique is easy to learn, but requires personalized interactive guidance. For this reason, it’s taught only through one-on-one instruction by a certified TM teacher.
There is no other way to learn the authentic TM technique — and there is no evidence that anything else provides the full range of benefits documented in the published researchpublished researchpublished research on the TM technique.
No problem at all. Unlike other forms of meditation, TM practice involves no concentration, no control of the mind, no trying to clear the mind of thoughts, no mental monitoring.
The TM technique’s effectiveness is the same whether you believe it will work or are completely skeptical. That’s because it automatically and effortlessly allows your active thinking mind to settle down to a state of deep inner calm.